In search of sustained energy throughout the day, many of us have swapped our morning coffee for a Morning matcha. Don’t get me wrong – I still crave an ice cold drink in the summer, but I’ve learned to look forward to my AM matcha latte. More than just a trend, matcha is a verifiable superfood. So it’s no surprise that skincare brands are starting to harness the many benefits of matcha for the skin.
Thanks to its high content of antioxidants and ingredients such as L-theanineWell, the health benefits of matcha are worth all the attention. (Increased energy and focus minus stress and anxiety? Sign on.) But as it turns out, these same antioxidants are just as good for your skin as they are for your body and mind. To fully explore the benefits of matcha for our skin, I consulted some experts.
Featured image from Our interview with Jules Acree by Michelle Nash.
Skin benefits of matcha: Meet the experts
First, I spoke to a celebrity chef and health journalist, Candace Kumaiwho recently released her seventh book, Spirited: A Modern Guide to Ancient Spiritual Wellness and Wisdom. She has been called the “Golden Girl of Wellness” by publications such as ELLE And ForbesCandice is a leading voice on japanese food, wellness, culture, and matcha.
“Matcha is a Japanese green tea powder full of amino acids and vitamin C, and my ancestors drank it in Japan for thousands of years,” Kumai said. “You’re also eating the whole leaf, and you benefit more by consuming the whole green tea leave-in versus steeping.”
As a matcha aficionado, Kumai isn’t surprised at matcha’s role in skincare. “Matcha is full of antioxidants, L-theanine, and vitamin C—great for fighting free radicals,” she says. “It’s a product that can be used to help with skin elasticity and may help fight free radical damage from the sun.”
I also spoke with Colin Rothschild, founder Coleen Rothschild Beauty, which has used matcha and other green tea extracts in their formulations for years. Below, she shares her expert insight on the benefits of matcha for skin and why everyone can’t stop talking about the nutrient-packed ingredient.
Why has matcha become more popular in skin care?
Matcha is a popular ingredient in skincare due to its high concentration of antioxidants, which have been found to have anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties. Matcha is also rich in chlorophyll, which can help detoxify the skin and improve its overall appearance.
Benefits of matcha for the skin
- Antioxidant protection. Matcha contains high levels of antioxidants that help protect the skin from free radical damage, which can contribute to premature aging.
- Anti-inflammatory properties. The antioxidants in matcha tea have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce the appearance of redness and help soothe skin.
- Detoxifying properties. The chlorophyll present in matcha tea helps in deep cleansing of impurities from the skin, which enhances the freshness and radiance of the skin.
- Anti-aging properties. The antioxidants in matcha tea help protect the skin from future damage and boost collagen production, which helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
What concerns can matcha skin care products help address?
- dullness. The detoxifying properties of matcha tea can help brighten and revitalize dull skin.
- aging. Matcha’s high antioxidant content can help protect the skin from premature aging.
- young love. Matcha’s anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce inflammation and redness associated with acne.
- sensitive. Matcha is gentle on the skin and can be a good option for those with sensitive skin.
Who wouldn’t use matcha tea in their skincare routine?
While matcha is generally safe for most skin types, those who are sensitive to green tea or caffeine should avoid using matcha skin care products. Of course, it’s a good idea to do a patch test if you’re extremely sensitive to certain skin care products.
The best matcha skin care products
Unlike some ingredients, which only work in certain types of products, matcha’s skin benefits are extremely versatile. From cleansers to face masks, this rich, invigorating ingredient shows up in your products A complete skincare routine can be used. Below, discover the best matcha skincare products to get you started with this amazing skincare ingredient.
Each product is carefully curated by our editors and we’ll always offer an honest opinion, whether it’s gifted or bought ourselves. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
The wear and tear on this cleanser says it all – I use it every day and even have a mini version to travel with. This sticky cleanser with a gel texture never strips my skin. I use it on my exfoliating days and even on my exfoliating days after I over exfoliated. It’s also my go-to when my skin gets really dry in the winter, which helps provide my skin with some much-needed moisture. Moisturizing, nourishing and soothing? You can’t think of a better way to start your cleaning routine.
- Best for: Dry, oily and sensitive skin
- Main ingredients: Matcha, hemp seed oil, sodium PCA
One of my favorite new skincare trends? Powder detergents. Just add water and you’ll get a foamy lather to gently unclog pores. Plus, you can take it through TSA – it’s not a liquid! This powder formula uses ceremonial grade matcha, giving your skin the best of the best. Foaming cleansers also provide a deeper cleanse for oily or acne-prone skin types.
- Best for: Combination, oily and acne-prone skin
- Main ingredients: High quality matcha, honey, agave
Detoxify and soothe with a blend of green teas including matcha and kombucha. This blend of superfood ingredients reduces sebum and unclogs pores in one fell swoop, making it the perfect on-the-go toner for stressed or oily skin. According to Rothschild, use this toner “after cleansing, as the second step in your skincare routine. Gently sweep face and neck with a cotton pad, avoiding the eye area. Use morning and night.”
- Best for: All skin types
- Main ingredients: Matcha, kombucha, algae, fermented plankton, prebiotics
This serum reminds me of the first time I ever put hyaluronic acid on my skin. I was in awe of how quickly the product moisturized. This milky, matcha-based pre-serum treatment goes on to infuse your skin with a hydrating layer of anti-inflammatory antioxidants. Boost and refresh tired or stressed skin while fortifying your face with free radical fighting power.
- Best for: Dry, dull and dehydrated skin
- Main ingredients: Matcha milk, jojoba milk, rice milk, white tea, and kale
Matcha is well known for its anti-aging properties. Full of energizing antioxidants, it fights free radicals and reduces oxidative stress. TLDR: Prevents and reverses signs of aging caused by environmental damage. KUMIKO uses matcha tea as its star ingredient, harnessing these powers for a line full of matcha-based products. This concentrated, anti-aging serum is formulated to give you softer, smoother skin.
- Best for: Dry and mature skin
- Main ingredients: Matcha Tea, Nori Seaweed, Marine Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid
Matcha’s healing properties make it ideal for day and night therapy. The caffeine in the holy leaf makes it a powerful anti-aging and restorative tool when applied topically. The hydrating properties of this serum seep into your skin overnight to help you wake up looking refreshed. A testament to matcha’s endless versatility.
- Best for: Acne-prone, dry, sensitive and damaged skin
- Main ingredients: Matcha, aloe, beeswax, honey, immortelle, 24k gold
K-Beauty brand Peach & Lily has been taking the internet by storm for over a decade. It combines korean skincare methods with high quality ingredients (eg, matcha). This antioxidant-rich cream is a prime example of one of K-Beauty’s core principles: Treat your skin gently for best results. No matter your skin type, this refreshing and nourishing cream addresses imperfections while drenching your skin in intense moisture to protect and repair. Use it day and night for smoother, healthier-looking skin.
- Best for: dry skin
- Main ingredients: Matcha, niacinamide, juniper berry, lotus, peptides
Combine the soothing, healing elements of matcha with chemical exfoliants for a gentle yet effective treatment. Sweep this transformative treatment across your skin to exfoliate and repair. Matcha teams up with hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, peptides, and vitamin e to replenish and restore skin for a balanced complexion.
- Best for: All skin types
- Main ingredients: Matcha, Mandelic Acid, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Citric Acid, Niacinamide, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide, Peptides, Vitamin E
Matcha latte lovers, this one’s for you. This luxurious face mask smells like matcha vanilla and works as a professional facial to exfoliate and refresh your skin. Like making your morning matcha tea, making a face mask is a self-care ritual that nourishes and grounds you. This face mask is formulated with natural ingredients that do double duty to calm your mind and your skin. Leave on for five transformative minutes and breathe in the calming vanilla scent.
- Best for: All skin types
- Main ingredients: Matcha, pumpkin extract, papaya extract, aloe vera, cocoa butter, vanilla extract
ESW’s innovative vegan milk flake masks are the first of their kind. This mask combines matcha and almond seed extracts for a deep conditioning treatment. Give your skin a boost of radiance with nourishing and restorative ingredients. (Bonus: You can even do this while making your morning matcha tea.) Call it the stacking habit!
- Best for: Dull dry skin
- Main ingredients: Matcha, almond seed extract, shea butter