Mercy Medical Center ranks first in Maryland for surgical care and among the top 5 hospitals in the state for both joint replacement surgery and orthopedic surgery, announced Dr. David N. Main, president and CEO of Mercy Health Services.
The rankings are based on new analysis from Healthgrades, the leading marketplace connecting physicians and patients, evaluating nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for clinical performance, focusing on 18 major specialties across a mix of chronic, urgent and surgical specialty areas.
This recognition by Healthgrades demonstrates Mercy’s commitment to the Sisters of Mercy’s mission – to provide high-quality care in a compassionate environment to our patients, regardless of their economic or social status. We especially want to recognize the efforts of the entire Mercy surgical team, including providers and staff in orthopedics and joint replacement at Mercy, and their dedication to fulfilling Mercy’s mission, every day.”
Dr. David N. Maine, president and CEO, Mercy Health Services
Hospitals recognized as among the top 5 hospitals in their state by Healthgrades consistently provide patients with better-than-expected clinical outcomes. Patients treated in hospitals that receive a state classification for surgical care have, on average, a 32.3% lower risk of developing complications while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that are not state rated for surgical care. * Patients treated at hospitals that are state-rated for joint replacement have, on average, a 62.5% lower risk of experiencing complications while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that are not state-rated for joint replacement. *
In addition, Mercy has received the following hospital quality awards in Orthopedics and Surgical Care from Healthgrades:
- One of the top 100 hospitals in America for joint replacement for 4 consecutive years (2020-2023)
- One of the Top 100 Hospitals in America for Spine Surgery by Healthgrades for 6 consecutive years (2017-2022)
- Awarded Excellence in Orthopedic Surgery by Healthgrades™ for 8 consecutive years (2016-2023)
- Recipient of Healthgrades™ Joint Replacement Excellence Award for 5 consecutive years (2019-2023)
- Rated within the top 5% in the country for joint replacement for 4 consecutive years (2020-2023)
- Ranked within the top 10% in the country for comprehensive orthopedic services for 8 consecutive years (2016-2023)
- Named among the top 10% in the country for joint replacement for 5 consecutive years (2019-2023)
- Five-star total knee replacement award for 5 consecutive years (2019-2023)
- Five stars for total hip replacement for 8 consecutive years (2016-2023)
- Awarded five stars in spinal fusion surgery for 7 consecutive years (2016-2022)
- Surgical care
- One of Healthgrades’ Top 50 Hospitals in America for Surgical Care for two consecutive years (2022-2023)
- Recipient of Excellence in Surgical Care Award from Healthgrades for two consecutive years (2022-2023)
- Ranked within the top 5% of hospitals in the country for surgical care for two consecutive years (2022-2023)
- Ranked among the top 10% of hospitals in the country for surgical care for two consecutive years (2022-2023)
Customers can visit healthgrades.com for more information on how HealthGrades measures hospital quality and access to the full methodology here.